Home » History


Fall tournament in which the “Red” and “Blue” teams participate.

The “Reds” and “Blues” are combined into one team and Wisła is created.

The first documented match between Wisła and Cracovia takes place.  The match is held on the 20th of September and results in a 1-1 tie.  Goals: for Wisła, Jan Górski 42 min., for Cracovia Szeligowski 45 min.  Wisła: Brożek - Pustelnik, Cepurski - Weyssenhoff, Stolarski, Dynowski - Rutkowski, Cudek, Baścik, Górski, Poznański.  The match was held on the Błonia field in Kraków.
On the 29th of September in the Czech city of Opava Wisła plays their first match against a “foreign” opponent.  The German team Troppauer S.V. wins 3-0.

On the 5th anniversary of the club’s founding on May 20th and 21st two matches against the Scottish club Aberdeen FC are held in Kraków.  Wisła loses both matches – 1-9 and 1-8.

On the 8th of May the Championships of Galicia organized by the Polish Football Union are held for the first time.  The championship title goes to Cracovia.  Wisła takes second place, while Pogoń Lwów is third.

•1914 - 1917
During the First World War TS Wisła suspends its activity.

On the 10th of November another derby match is played against Cracovia.  Wisła wins 1-0.

Wisła’s Board begins efforts to acquire land on which a football stadium is to be built, in addition to obtaining permission to construct a stadium with facilities.

A meeting of the representatives of 13 sports clubs (including Wisła) takes place in February, resulting in the establishment of the Kraków Football Union (KZOPN).

The 15th anniversary of Wisła is celebrated in October.  On December 15th the Polish national team plays against Hungary in Budapest, losing 0-1.

Following a morning mass on April 8th at the Church of the Capuchin Order, Wisła’s newly built football stadium is consecrated, and the ribbon cut.  In the stadium’s inaugural match Wisła loses 4-2 to Pogoń Lwów.  On May 14th the Polish national team plays against Hungary (0-3) at Cracovia’s stadium.  Stefan Śliwa and Henryk Reyman play in the match, thereby becoming the first members of Wisła’s team to play for the national team. 

Wisła wins the class A district title, and loses to Pogoń Lwów in the Polish Championship final, thereby finishing second.

Wisła’s players: Henryk Reyman, Mieczysław Wiśniewski and Jan Reyman (substitute) represent Poland during the summer Olympic Games in Paris.  The new stadium is becoming increasingly popular.  On November 16th (Sunday) Polish Marshal Józef Piłsudski makes an appearance at Wisła’s match against Pogoń Lwów (2-3).  Following the match the Marshal poses for a photograph together with the players.

On July 19th the first international match is played at Wisła’s stadium.  Poland loses to Hungary 0-2.  Two of the “White Star’s” players take part in the match – Witold Gieras and Kazimierz Kaczor.  8 thousand spectators watch the match.  Wisła once again wins the class A championship title.   

On September 5th Wisła defeats Sparta Lwów 2-1 in the final of the Polish Cup played at the team’s home stadium.
On December 4th and 5th in Kraków the representatives of 12 clubs resolve to establish of the Polish Football League.  A spring-fall season is agreed upon.

On April 3rd Wisła playes their first league match at Jutrzenka’s stadium, defeating their local rival 4-0 (2-0).  Stanisław Czulak scores Wisła’s first ever league goal.  Wisła become Polish Champions, while Henryk Reyman is the league’s top scorer with 38 (or 37) goals.

Wisła once again become Polish Champions, and Henryk Reman is once again the league’s top scorer with 30 (27) goals.  The 100th league goal for Wisła is scored by Stanisław Czulak.

Wisła scores their 200th goal, scored by Władysław Kowalski on April 21st in an away match in Lwów won against Pogoń (4-2).

The Polish national team defeats an amateur team from Austria 3-1 in a match held at Wisła’s stadium on June 15th on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Polish Football Union.  As a result of this match the Polish national team wins the title of Amateur Champion of Central Europe.  Henryk Reyman is captain of the Polish side, while aside from him Jan Kotlarczyk, Stanisław Czulak, and Mieczysław Balcer from Wisła play for the national team.  Reyman and Balcer each score a goal for Poland.
On November 30th Wisła defeats Pogoń Lwów 3-0 in their 100th league match.  Wisła finishes the season in second place.

Wisła’s 25th anniversary. A football tournament is held from May 23rd to the 25th.  The anniversary celebrations are held under the patronage of Division General Edward Rydz-Śmigły, a great fan and supporter of Wisła.  On the anniversary’s occasion rings are given to: Henryk Reyman, Marcinkowski, Stolarski, Polaczek, and Koźmin.
Wisła once again finishes the league in second place, while the league’s top scorer is Walerian Kisieliński with 25 (24) goals.

Wisła’s worst league finish during this period.  Sixth place in the league, 9 matches lost, and a negative goal balance of 37-42.

During a derby match with Cracovia on June 11th an argument breaks out between Wisła’s captain, Henryk Reyman, and referee Zygmunt Rosenfeld.  Reyman leaves the pitch in the 84th minute, followed by other players.  Wisła receives a financial penalty.  As it later turns out, this was the captain of the Polish Army’s last match.  Earlier – on April 9th – Reyman managed to score Wisła’s 400th league goal.

Wisła once again finishes third in the league.  Construction of a municipal stadium begins.

Approximately 3600 people regularly frequent Wisła’s matches at the time.  Goal number 500 is scored by Marian Kopeć on May 5th in a match against Cracovia (4-0).  On August 14th a powerful storm tears through Kraków, during which the so-called “oriental stand” is damaged.  The pitch is completely flooded with water.  The stand is never rebuilt in its original form.

Anniversary celebrations are held.  A new crest of the Sporting Association appears.  The shape of the shield is changed.  A blue stripe running diagonally from lower left to upper right appears on the crest.  A white star and the words “TS Wisła” are also placed in the crest.  Similarities are to be found between the new crest and the club’s first jerseys, or the course of the Vistula River as it runs through Poland.  The main event of the anniversary celebrations is the match Wisła – Chelsea, played in London on May 24th, which Wisła wins 1-0 following an extremely difficult and fierce match in which the only goal is scored by Antoni Łyko from a penalty kick.  The match is viewed by an overabundance of spectators.
Three of Wisła’s players take part in the summer Olympic Games in Berlin: Edward Madejski, Józef Kotlarczyk and Walerian Kisieliński. Jan Kotlarczyk retires.

On September 19th Mieczysław Habowski scores the 600th goal for Wisła in a match against Ruch Chorzów.  The goal is scored in the 75th minute of the match.
The junior team is formed and wins the Polish Championships.  Many of the team’s players quickly move up to become pillars of the first team, such as Jerzy Jurowicz, and Mieczysław Gracz.

The Polish national team plays for the first time in the World Cup held in France.  In Strasbourg Poland loses to Brazil 5-6 in overtime.  Edward Madejski (unassociated) is the team’s goalkeeper. 

World War Two breaks out on September 1st.  Meanwhile the Cracovia – Wisła derby are supposed to be held on September 3rd.  Posters publicizing the match hang all over the city.

In spite of prohibitions, persecutions, and arrests Wisła takes part in the conspiratorial occupational championships of Kraków, emerging victorious.  The sporting equipment and club standard are hidden in the Kraków Waterworks.

Wisła once again wins the occupational championships of Kraków.  The club also celebrates the 35th anniversary of its founding.  Photographs from the celebrations and silver rings with the Association’s crest survive as unique souvenirs from that year.

On June 14th Wisła defeats Garbarnia 2-0 in the presence of 1500 spectators.  Two matches are played between the city teams of Kraków (some of Wisła’s players in the lineup) and Warsaw.  Kraków wins the first match 3-2, while the following day the teams tie 2-2.

Cracovia triumphs this time around in the Kraków championships, winning the title under dramatic circumstances.  There is a tie for most of the final match against Wisła.  Near the end of the match Wisła’s players refuse to accept what they believe to be a falsely dictated penalty kick.  In effect the penalty kick is not executed, and a disturbance breaks out in the city.  Wisła is penalized with a fine. 

Wisła wins the occupational championship of Kraków for the third time.

On January 28th the trumpet call from the tower of St. Mary’s Church announces the start of the derby match between Wisła and Cracovia in liberated Kraków.  Wisła wins 2-0 following an own goal scored by Kazimierz Filo and another goal scored by Władysław Giergiel.

Wisła drops out of the group playoffs of the Polish Championships.  During the summer, a week before the club’s 40th anniversary, a lightning storm passes over Kraków, which causes significant damage to the football stadium.  The stand’s roof is torn off once again.

Wisła advances to the final of the Polish Championships.  However, in the big final against Warta Poznań, the team loses 2-5.  The team finishes second by way of compensation.

Wisła finishes first place in the league, however, in accordance with the regulations in effect the Polish Championships are to be decided by an additional match.  On December 5th Wisła loses to Cracovia 1-3 (1-2) in a match held at Garbarnia’s stadium, and once again finishes in second place.  The league’s top scorer is Józef Kohut with 33 (31) goals to his name.  Kohut also scores the 700th league goal for Wisła during a match against Garbarnia (4-0) held on June 3rd.

Wisła wins the championship crown after many years.  The team becomes the National Class I Champion.  Wisła scores their 800th goal in the first league.  Maksymilian Cisowski scores the goal during a match against Warta on July 3rd.  Significant political changes take place in the world of Polish sports at the time.  Sports clubs are assigned to Sports Unions.  Wisła is assigned to the Gwardia (Guard) Union of the Office of Public Security and begins to play under the name Wisła Sports Union – Gwardia Kraków.   

Another star in the championship crown.  Wisła is the top team in Poland once again.

Wisła – Gwardia is once again at the top of the league, but the Polish Cup competition is being held at the same time (under the name of the Cup of 1000 Teams).  Under the existing regulations the title of Polish Champion goes to the team that wins the Polish Cup.  The grand finale takes place on September 16th at the Stadium of the Polish Armed Forces in Warsaw.  Wisła – Gwardia loses to Unia – Ruch Chorzów 0-2 in the presence of 35 000 spectators.  Ruch wins the Polish Cup and thus becomes the Polish Champion (even though the team finishes 6th place in the league).  Wisła is left with the consolation prize of League Champion.

Two of Wisła’s players – Zbigniew Jaskowski and Józef Mamoń – are among the members of the Polish national team that travels to Helsinki for the summer Olympic Games.

Although construction work is still underway, the first match at the “new” football stadium is already played in May.

In August a change of coaches takes place – Michał Matyas is replaced by Mieczysław “Messu” Gracz and Czesław Skoraczyński.  The change in coaches, a lack of competence, and a generational change – all of this causes Wisła – Gwardia to have trouble remaining in the first league.  On March 28th Wisła plays its 400th match in the first league (Wisła – Górnik Radlin 0-1).

Another poor season for Wisła.  A seventh place finish in the league is taken as a defeat.  On November 6th during a match with Górnik Radlin (1-0) Marian Machowski scores goal number 1000 for Wisła in the first league.

The 50th anniversary of the club takes place under the name: 1906-1956 Wisła – Gwardia Kraków.  A tournament is held to celebrate the anniversary at the turn of September/October, during which Wisła plays three matches.  The team loses to the U.S.S.R. champion Dynamo Moscow 2-5, beats Vasasem Csepel (Hungarian first league) 1-0, and defeats AFC Belo Horizonte (Brazil) also 1-0.  Further structural changes are introduced in Polish sports.  This is rather a return to past, tried and tested models.  Clubs and sports associations return to their old names and colors.  The date August 19th 1956 is a black stain on the honor of Wisła Kraków’s players and fans.  Wisła Kraków is routed 0:12 (0:5) by Legia in Warsaw.

On October 10th the Association’s Board resolves to return to the name TS Wisła.  A new club crest is also introduced – a red and navy blue shield with a white star and the words TS Wisła 1906.

Wisła’s juniors win the Polish Championships.  Władysław Kmiecik is moved up from the juniors to the first team (45 matches and 7 goals in the league).  On August 17th Wisła plays its 500th league match.

Once again a change takes place among the coaching staff and leadership of the team.  The Hungarian coach Karoly Kosa takes charge of the team.  The Association’s stadium is consecrated.

Wisła plays a friendly match against a team composed of member of the Polish diaspora from America.  A sure win of 8-0 by an average Kraków team at the time. 

The 1200th goal for Wisła in the first league is scored by Czesław Studnicki on August 13th during a match against Ruch Chorzów (3-1).

A change to a fall – spring season takes place.  “Messu” Gracz once again becomes head coach.  On November 4th Wisła plays its 600th league match (Wisła - ŁKS Łódź 2-1).

Hubert Skupnik i Józef Gach debut on the team. The Czech Karel Kolsky becomes coach.

A dark season for Wisła’s players.  The Kraków team finishes 13th in the league and tastes the bitter pill of degradation for the first time in history.  Annalists note that the goal that clinched Wisła’s drop to the second league was scored by Górnik Zabrze’s left winger Roman Lentner, who scored the goal that gave Górnik a 3-3 tie in the final league match of the season, thereby sealing Wisła’s degradation down to the second league. 

Wisła fights in the second league with practically the same lineup of players.  Czesław Skoraczyński is coach at the time, while the team manager is the legendary…basketball player of the “Wawel Dragons” Tadeusz Pacuła.

Wisła’s second league quarantine bears positive results.  After returning to the first league Wisła becomes the second team in Poland.  The team also does well in the Intertoto Cup, where they finish 2nd.
The 60th anniversary of the club is celebrated in grand style.  Many sporting events are held, which yield valuable outcomes.

Wisła performs badly in the league, but plays much better in the Polish Cup.  The Kraków team makes it to the final, in which they face Raków Częstochowa on July 9th.  After a dramatic battle Wisła prevails 2-0 and wins the trophy for the second time in the club’s history.  Wisła debuts in the Cup Winners’ Cup – defeating HJK Helsinki 4-1 in an away match on November 20th, and 4-0 at home.  The team then plays against HSV Hamburg, losing both matches at home (0-1) and away (0-4).
The club crest is changed.  The Ordinary Meeting of the Association’s Delegates accepts a new name – The Guards’ Sporting Association Wisła 1906 Kraków.

The team is luckily saved from degradation.  Stanisław Gonet, Antoni Szymanowski, and Kazimierz Kmiecik debut on the team.

Wisła plays very well in the Summer Cup (Intertoto), taking first place and winning a monetary prize.  Another derby match against Cracovia is held on September 29th.  Wisła defeats their rival on its own turf 3-2.  Wisła also receives an additional bonus in the form of an impressive trophy given to the team by…Wisła, but a different Wisła from Chicago.

Ryszard Sarnat debuts on the team.  Wisła once again finishes first in the Summer Cup (Intertoto).  A new coach is hired towards the end of the year - Michał Matyas "Myszka" (“Little Mouse”).

Zdzisław Kapka, Henryk Maculewicz, and Andrzej Garlej debut on the team.  Wisła plays its 800th league match on August 27th (Szombierki Bytom - Wisła 3-1).

back to top